.bit Alias Comes!

.bit Alias

Introduction
Applications
Guide
Reasons for failure
FAQ

Introduction

.bit as your self-sovereign data container means that we map a .bit account to multiple addresses. For example, alice.bit maps alice.bit to data such as ETH addresses starting with 0x…, TRX addresses starting with T…, etc.

> .bit as your self-sovereign data container:
alice.bit —> 0x4f67…1279

.bit Alias, on the other hand, resolves a piece of data to a .bit account. Its biggest advantage is that it can transform long, hard-to-read, illegible addresses into human-readable .bit accounts.

> .bit Alias:
0x4f67…1279 —> alice.bit
TQ5Qtf…rNfxQ —> alice.bit

Applications

1. Universal Cross-chain Username in DApps

DApps are the largest application of blockchain, but DApps now have two serious problems.

DApps lack human readable username, .bit provides username for users and creators

Logging in with an address is the first step, but addresses are long, hard to read and hard to recognize. DApps lack a simple, human-readable username.

.bit provides each creator and user with their own Username, and lists displaying multiple lines of addresses will be clear and straightforward.

DApps Lack Universal Username, .bit Effectively Protects Creators’ Rights

Recently, copyright issues have come to the forefront. While NFTs largely solves the problem of unlimited reproduction and ownership of digital artwork, it can still be copied and saved. Anyone can mint an NFT with the same image.

However, unlike the real-name registration system in the real world, addresses on blockchain are extremely anonymous. Since they are difficult to identify, buyers who have not fully researched the work are often vulnerable to fraud. .bit helps to avoid such fraudulent incidents. .bit provides a globally unique name system that provides a universal username for different DApps so that buyers can identify the creator. The same creator’s address will appear as the same, human-readable .bit account in different DApps.

With the cross-chain capability, .bit can provide reverse resolution for any public chain address. All EVM Chains(ETH, BSC, Polygon…)and TRON are now supported. It also means that after setting the .bit Alias, you have a universal cross-chain Username in the DApp.

2. Secondary Verification in Blockchain – Transfers Are More Secure

In the blockchain world, the tragedy of losing large assets due to wrong transfer address happens frequently. Here is the most common example of misses.

When using Pancake or other applications, MetaMask transfers show an insufficient balance. At this point, when people withdraw token from the exchange to the wallet address, they tend to copy the right-hand side of MetaMask to the exchange. Then the assets are withdrawn to the contract, resulting in lost assets.

However, if we were to see alice.bit → pancake.bit at this point, I believe that this type of tragedy would not have happened.

Forward resolution allows us to transfer assets to alice by entering a simple alice.bit, and similarly, when we transfer assets to alice by entering 0x…24de, Apps will also show us that the address has been bound to alice.bit, which is equivalent to secondary authentication in blockchain. .bit will effectively help to increase the correct rate of transfers.

3. More

In fact, with the powerful compatibility and extensibility of .bit, any RSA public key can be set as the .BIT Alias of .bit, just as any RSA private key can hold and manage a .bit account. It also means that .bit can bring us a more secure and friendly experience not only in blockchain, but also in other scenarios of Web 3.0 that we can’t imagine yet.

Guide

When you set the .bit Alias, the relevant information needs to be stored on the blockchain, and it requires 201 CKB of storage space. So please make sure your balance is greater than 201 CKB before setting a .bit Alias.

Start

The .bit Alias can be set to any .bit account. To ensure the accuracy of the .bit Alias, any of the following conditions must be met for the .bit Alias to be valid.

1. Your address is the Owner / Manager of the .bit account.
  2. Your address is in the data of the .bit account.

For example, set the .bit Alias of the ETH address 0x4f67…1279 to alice.bit. This will take effect as long as any of the following conditions is met.

1. The ETH address 0x4f67…1279 is the Owner / Manager of the .bit account.
  2. The ETH address 0x4f67…1279 is in the data of the .bit account.

Reasons for failure

If your .bit Alias is invalid, please check the following reasons one by one.

1. The .bit account has been sold and you are not the Owner / Manager of the .bit account.
  2. The .bit Alias of the .bit account has been changed and your address is not in the forward data of that .bit account.
  3. The Owner permission of the .bit account is transferred, the data is cleared, and your address is not in the data of the .bit account.
  4. The .bit is converted to an Ethereum NFT. You can reset it after you convert it to a normal .bit account. How to convert your .bit NFT on Ethereum to a normal .bit?

The following conditions must be met for a .bit Alias to be valid.

1. Your address is the Owner / Manager of the .bit account or your address is in the data stored in the .bit account.
  2. Your .bit account has not been converted to an Ethereum NFT.

FAQ

If I had set up a .bit Alias before and froze 201 CKB, how can I get it back?

Now, setting up a .bit Alias no longer requires any fees. If you have set up a .bitAlias before and had 201 CKB frozen, you can retrieve it at any time at .bit Alias.

Can I set more than one .bit Alias for one address?

Currently only one .bit Alias can be set for an address.

If I set alice.bit as the .bit Alias of my address, will my .bit Alias be cleared when the alice.bit account expires?

Your .bit Alias will be invalid, but it will not be cleared. When alice.bit expires, its data will be cleared. You can delete the .bit Alias at any time.

If the .bit account I set is sold or transferred to someone else, will my .bit Alias be cleared?

Your .bit Alias will be invalid, but it will not be cleared. When the .bit account is sold or its owner permission is transferred, its data will be cleared. You can delete the .bit Alias at any time.

Can I set someone else’s .bit account as my .bit Alias?

Yes. Any of the following conditions must be met for the .bit Alias to be valid.

Can I set the .bit Alias of my multiple addresses to the same .bit account?

Yes. It will work as long as the .bit Alias for each address meets one of the following conditions.

What Apps are integrated with .bit Alias now?

Currently, .bit DApp, DIDTop, YokaiSwap, WePiggy, ShowMe have supported .bit Alias, with more applications on the way.

5 Likes

What can i use my .bit for?

1 Like